Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Mike Jackson wrote:
Quoting Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>:

We've never changed the names of any config attributes. The only
thing that has changed over time is adding new definitions.

So, it's not even a concern at all.

The schema is published in the cn=schema,cn=config entry. That's as
much a public interface as there'll ever be in an LDAP directory.

Well, I did consider it as a "public interface". What I meant was that
it didn't seem to be the officially sanctioned way to do things - it's
not mentioned in any of the documentation that you can bootstrap your
initial config in this way, although the attributes and such are
documented in the admin guide.

It's not mentioned because it ought to be blindingly obvious. We provide a sample config.ldif in the Admin Guide. Only an idiot would create a format that can never be created directly, and can only be used through conversion of some other format.

Now that we are clear on this, would
you mind if I rewrote the Quick-Start Guide to remove slapd.conf
references and provide a clear example how to bootstrap config with an
LDIF? I'd be happy to do it.

Doc patches are always welcome.

--
  -- Howard Chu