Moving From Debian 2.4.31/hdb to LTB 2.4.39/mdb

Hi. We have been using OpenLDAP for about 11 years now and have an MMR set up with 2 masters and 18 delta-syncrepl clients/slaves, all but 3 slaves are currently using back_hdb. Our beta test server and two load balancers are using back_mdb. The db is not too big with about 50,000 entries, 9 indexes (7 eq & 2 sub) and the slapdump ldif is about 41 MB.

All our servers are Debian "testing" with a few packages from unstable and even experimental so we have the latest security and feature fixes for the work we do (email security filtering). Unfortunately, even the "bleeding edge" debian releases are waaaay behind in OpenLDAP.

Last year we lost our system admin that set all this up, and I have been on a very steep learning curve since then. At this time I believe we need to move to a current version of OpenLDAP via ltb-project and switch to mdb, but I have run into a couple of questions we need to resolve first.

FWIW, I would dearly like to help out the Debian community and compile & maintain an up-to-date version of OpenLDAP for them, but I need at least a couple more years of experience before it is even marginally safe to have other companies depending on my expertise with debian packaging.

Anyway, after reading the OpenLDAP & ltb-project docs I have a couple of questions for anyone already using the ltb-project debian release, slapd.d & mdb. I hope the answers will help make our and others' transition go more smoothly.

So here we go....

Question #1. I see that slapd.conf is deprecated and we should move to a slapd.d config db.

However, the slapd.conf file (with git & cfengine) meets 3 key requirements for our service's configuration management: (1) audit trail, (2) peer review & staff notification, (3) automatic, staggered release to all servers so our users experience 0 downtime.

I do not yet see an "easy" way to meet the first two requirements using slapd.d.

To satisfy #3 I hope we can just update our master server slapd.d and config changes will be replicated to the slaves. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about that.

To meet the requirement for an audit trail & staff review & notification, in the absence of someone's experience and/or knowledge from this group, we currently plan to use our ticket-tracking system (Request Tracker). Within an RT queue dedicated to our db systems we will document, review & manage slapd.d changes prior to actually making a change in the master which will then (I hope) propagate through delta-syncrepl.

How does anyone else that is using slapd.d with an MMR setup with multiple client/slaves take care of their needs for an audit trail, peer review/staff notification, and release to all those servers?

Question #2. This may be a simple one....When reading the latest OpenLDAP docs at http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/slapdconf2.html I noticed that there are no references to back_mdb in the configuration documentation...Specifically, "Table 5.2: Database Backends" and "Table 6.2: Database Backends" do not show an "mdb" option. Is this an oversight or is mdb going away already or am I completely confused? I suspect the answer is #3 ;-)

Basically I need to know what to use in the "backend" & "database" directives (slapd.conf) or "olcBackend" attribute (slapd.d) if we want the mdb backend?

Thank you for your insights and any information you can share.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any erroneous transmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately destroy it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.