common name

I have confusion on on common name. In Open ldap it is a combination of first name and last name and other side it is unique. So it is forces us to use something else then
combination of first name and last name.

Now tools like php openldap, apache directory shows the LDPA user in left navigation by common name. So if we map common name to something else then we will have
problem to view the list  in these tools.
Is it possible to change the setting for above tools so that they can reflect based on first name and last name instead of common name?

-Jignesh