Re: Checking client certificates against CRLs

Thank you for all of the advice, everyone. I have taken the common
advice of using a slapd built against OpenSSL, and everything just
worked. Even the programs that I had linked against libldap started
working better. I wish I had done it sooner -- all of our other pki
infrastructure uses OpenSSL, so it works together much better.

Certificates issued by my CA have both an OCSP responder URI and a
CRL URI. The use case for my CA is not the traditional one; it is
primarily used to issue short-lived (2-6 weeks) client certificates
used to bind to an LDAP server using SASL/EXTERNAL authentication.
Revoking certificates is extremely unusual, and even revoking every
certificate in use would still produce a small CRL. So it's feasible
to have a shorter TTL for the CRL, to get responsiveness comparable
to OCSP.

Cheers,
David