Re: Antw: Re: Regarding LDAP structure

>>> Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> schrieb am 14.03.2014 um 10:36 in Nachricht
<5322CD84.4080903@symas.com>:
> Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a question on "entryUUID": Most (comonly used) group-like
>> structures
> use DNs for members. Are there any examples how to use entryUUID for
> group-like structures?
>
> There are no standard schema that do this. I'd note that your question and
> Alejandro's recommendation are contrary to the design of LDAP (and the X.500
> data model) - LDAP is meant to be a read-optimized hierarchical data store. If
> you simply use entryUUIDs for all references then you might as well use a
> flat or relational database instead of a hierarchical one.

Up to here I see no difference.

> In particular, listing memberships by DN gives you immediate knowledge of an
> entry's location in the hierarchy, and clients can use DN's for direct
> access to any entry of interest. Using entryUUID requires you to do a search,
> instead of a direct lookup.

I agree here.

> There's of course a maintenance cost for using DNs as references - when DNs
> are changed, you might also need to change every entry that references them,
> which makes updates more expensive. But again, that's part of the LDAP
> design:
> writes can be more expensive, because reads must be as fast as possible.

I tend to disagree: I think the DIT designers mixed up names and IDs right from the beginning. I guess that's why every entry has a DN, and not a DID (Distinquished ID). To me it seems that did not foresee that a DN might change. Maybe it was due to UUIDs not being used at that time. Today you can learn for the web trackers how to manage IDs correctly ;-)

Maybe they new the DIT schema would be less attractive if you had "non-speaking" DIDs instead of DNs rich of semantics. But that virtual attractiveness seems to be a major problem: What happens if "dn: cn=Jane Smith, ou=people, o=example.org" gets married or divorced?

> This is also a distinguishing characteristic of M$ AD that differentiates it
> from true LDAP implementations - in AD, references are stored internally as
> GUIDs, and the GUID must be mapped to a name on every read operation. Thus
> they avoid the expense of referential integrity updates when DNs change, but
> as a consequence, read operations in AD are slower than writes. It's not a
> tradeoff that makes sense for most LDAP uses, but M$ AD is not a shining
> example of good design anyway.

"ease of use, not ease of implementation" they say.

(It's all my opinion)

Regards,
Ulrich