Fwd: Works with ldapsearch, but can't get it to work with ldap_search_ext_s()

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Werner - Google <wxxx333@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Trying to get a ldapclient to authenticate against it, but having a difficult time trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong. Would appreciate any tip/help pointing me in the correct direction.

Company has a Microsoft Active Directory structure, like

region_a
users
john.doe
marcus.zap
servers
region_b
users
magaly.frap
roger.smith
servers

Testing with ldapsearch, it works fine, returning the entry of john.doe, if i do a:

>$ ldapsearch -v -h ldap_srv -p 389 -s sub -z 2 -l 15 -D auth_dn -w pass_dn -b "DC=domain,DC=com"  "(sAMAccountName=john.doe)" sAMAccountName

:: for info
>$ldapsearch -VV
ldapsearch: @(#) $OpenLDAP: ldapsearch 2.4.28 (Jul  4 2013 21:48:28) $
root@b1026.apple.com:/private/var/tmp/OpenLDAP/OpenLDAP-208.5~1/clients/tools
(LDAP library: OpenLDAP 20428)

=========
But with a simple code (extract bellow), on the same machine as the ldapsearch above, i'm unable to make it work.

struct timeval timeOut = {15,0};   /* 15 second connection timeout */
char *attrs[] = {"sAMAccountName", NULL};

  if ( (ld = ldap_init( "ldap_srv", 389 )) == NULL ) {
    return( 1 ); /* error */
  }

  /* Bind with credentials to the LDAP server. */
  rc = ldap_simple_bind_s( ld, auth_dn, pass_dn );
  if ( rc != LDAP_SUCCESS ) {
    return( 1 ); /* error */
  }

  /* Search for the entry. */
  fprintf(stderr, "ldap_simple_bind_s(): Entering...\n");

  rc = ldap_search_ext_s( ld, "DC=domain,DC=com", LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,
    "(sAMAccountName=john.doe)", NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, &timeOut,
    2, &result );

  fprintf(stderr, "ldap_simple_bind_s(): after. rc=%d...\n", rc);

::::::

The ldap_init(), ldap_simple_bind_s(), both work correctly.

The call to:
ldap_search_ext_s( ld, "DC=domain,DC=com", ....
does never come back from the function call, i have waited for more than one hour. I never get the 2nd fprintf(...)

Another point, should the ldap_search_ext_s() not return with an error after the defined "timeOut" (in my case 15 seconds) ?

But, if i change the 2nd parameter (base dn) from: "DC=domain,DC=com" to "OU=region_a,DC=domain,DC=com", it works fine, returning the entry for john.doe in a few seconds.

As i need to check users inside all of the "regions", i can't have the OU=region on the base search, because if i use it with OU=region_a,dc=domain,dc=com i'm not able to find the users from region_b, as expected :)

Any tips to help me figure out what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks
werner

Hi,
  After doing some more research and lot's of tcpdumping, i got some more info, but still don't  know how to solve my problem.

 As i mentioned, i'm doing the search agains an Active Directory service. I do the serch with the code showed above, and with the tcpdump's i seems to show that when i do it with ldap_search_ext_s(), i get after the found item, a list of referals, like:

dap://ForestDnsZones.example.dc/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=example,DC=dc
ldap://DomainDnsZones.example.dc/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=dc
ldap://example.dc/CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=dc

and ldap_search_ext_s() tries to follow those referrals. On this attempt it tries the bind without the credentials, and than i get rejected by the server of sometimes i'm even unable to reach the mentioned server.

I've tried adding to my test code,

int referals = LDAP_OPT_OFF;
/* before the init */
ldap_set_option( NULL, LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS, &referals);

as it seems to have no effect, i still get my test code trying to 'follow' the referals, i did try also put it as:

/* after the ldap_init , using the returned LDAP* */
ldap_set_option( ld, LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS, &referals);

but still  no effect.

And doing the same tcpdumping and running ldapsearch -d ... , it appears that ldapsearch, using the same search parameters as my test code, does NOT try to follow the referrals, even getting them back from the server the same as my test code.

As additional info, the wireshark summary of the search return packet is something like:
No.     Time           Source                Destination           Protocol Length Info
     97 4.810369000    9.9.9.9          5.5.5.5         LDAP     405    searchResEntry(2) "CN=Alonso.Vega,OU=Users,OU=Country,DC=example,DC=dc"  | searchResDone(2) Unknown result(9) (Referral:
dap://ForestDnsZones.example.dc/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=example,DC=dc
ldap://DomainDnsZones.example.dc/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=dc
ldap://example.dc/CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=dc)  [1 result]

Any suggestion/help very appreciated on how i could avoid that the search tries to follow the referrals?

thx
-werner