slapd.ldif beginner

Hi all ldap people.
I have been trying this new way of configuring a slapd server from scratch. Sorry to say total failure on my side. I'm not sure where to begin.
I have built a linux system from LFS Linux from scratch. So I want to install openldap from source, so far no problems.
When my installation is done i have a directory in /etc/ named openldap and the content inside is this:

DB_CONFIG.example
ldap.conf
ldap.conf.default
schema
slapd.conf
slapd.conf.default
slapd.ldif
slapd.ldif.default

To start configure my slapd using slapd.conf there is no problem. Actually I'm beginning to think I'm pretty good att this. :-)
But then I try to read all I can find about configure a new slapd using slapd.ldif, not that easy.
I understand that I need a new directory named slapd.d. After that I have no clue.
I guess something is hardcoded in slapd but what am I supposed to do next?
How can i communicate with slapd ? I guess I have to define a password somewhere for a manager or administrator but how and where?
Is there a tutorial somwhere ?
All I need is how to start. :-)

best regards

Sonny