ldap/pwd complexity and PAM?

Hi;

In my free time, I've been studying openldap and the ppolicy overlay.
I started working on password complexity today. While searching for information on implementing complexity, I ran across the link immediately following which seems to indicate that openldap honors the settings in /etc/pam.d/password-auth.

I tried configuring that on a test kvm and can't even get it working
with local accounts so obviously I borked something in the password-auth
file - like maybe not even the right pam.d file; however, before I spend
a whole lot of time troubleshooting this, is my understanding accurate?
Will openldap honor the settings in pam.d?

It seems that'd be a whole lot cleaner and more supportable than compiling a specialized password checking module.

Any info greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Doug O'Leary
Senior UNIX/Security Admin
CISSP, CISA, RHCSA, CEH
O'Leary Computers Inc