From: openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Borresen, John - 0442 - MITLL
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:40 AM
To: Quanah Gibson-Mount; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: RE: Syncrepl and mmr

Thanks Quanah,

A few weeks back I asked that question (on 1/30):
> All Masters in the chain have the olcServerID's and olcSynRepl for
> itself and its partner?  I can understand having each knowing about
> the others but why itself?  It's replicating to itself?
-You replied
-It knows about itself so it knows what to ignore.

Even in the Admin Guide is specifies setting it up that way...each server has all the others and itself listed.
I was following the procedures delineated in the Admin Guide and in the man-pages (including how I understood what was put out on the board):
>From the Admin Guide:
8.3.3. N-Way Multi-Master

For the following example we will be using 3 Master nodes. Keeping in line with test050-syncrepl-multimaster of the OpenLDAP test suite, we will be configuring slapd(8) via cn=config

This sets up the config database:

     dn: cn=config
     objectClass: olcGlobal
     cn: config
     olcServerID: 1

     dn: olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config
     objectClass: olcDatabaseConfig
     olcDatabase: {0}config
     olcRootPW: secret

second and third servers will have a different olcServerID obviously:

     dn: cn=config
     objectClass: olcGlobal
     cn: config
     olcServerID: 2

     dn: olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config
     objectClass: olcDatabaseConfig
     olcDatabase: {0}config
     olcRootPW: secret

This sets up syncrepl as a provider (since these are all masters):

     dn: cn=module,cn=config
     objectClass: olcModuleList
     cn: module
     olcModulePath: /usr/local/libexec/openldap
     olcModuleLoad: syncprov.la

Now we setup the first Master Node (replace $URI1, $URI2 and $URI3 etc. with your actual ldap urls):

     dn: cn=config
     changetype: modify
     replace: olcServerID
     olcServerID: 1 $URI1
     olcServerID: 2 $URI2
     olcServerID: 3 $URI3

     dn: olcOverlay=syncprov,olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config
     changetype: add
     objectClass: olcOverlayConfig
     objectClass: olcSyncProvConfig
     olcOverlay: syncprov

     dn: olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config
     changetype: modify
     add: olcSyncRepl
     olcSyncRepl: rid=001 provider=$URI1 binddn="cn=config" bindmethod=simple
       credentials=secret searchbase="cn=config" type=refreshAndPersist
       retry="5 5 300 5" timeout=1
     olcSyncRepl: rid=002 provider=$URI2 binddn="cn=config" bindmethod=simple
       credentials=secret searchbase="cn=config" type=refreshAndPersist
       retry="5 5 300 5" timeout=1
     olcSyncRepl: rid=003 provider=$URI3 binddn="cn=config" bindmethod=simple
       credentials=secret searchbase="cn=config" type=refreshAndPersist
       retry="5 5 300 5" timeout=1
     -
     add: olcMirrorMode
     olcMirrorMode: TRUE

I followed what is put in the Admin Guide, etc...

Thanks