RE: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Paul B. Henson wrote:

Our servers do a nightly backup of cn=config via slapcat -n 0, and those are kept for a month. Since this is for clients, there's no revision control involved, but it would be trivial for someone to check in the resulting LDIF file into their favorite RCS system.

Hmm, so the revision control system would transition from being the authoritative source of what the configuration is (ie, in our current system, if somehow the running configuration deviated from the version in revision control, it would automatically be corrected back) to simply becoming a record of whatever changes happen to have been made on the running configuration?

Off the top of my head, I'm not really seeing this. With slapd.conf:

(human on workstation)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.conf
$EDITOR !$
$RCS checkin repo/production.slapd.conf

(magical config overlord/human on server)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.conf
cp repo/production.slapd.conf /server/production.slapd.conf
pkill slapd
slapd

or slapd.d:

(human on workstation)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.ldif
$EDITOR !$
$RCS checkin repo/production.slapd.ldif

(magical config overlord/human on server)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.ldif
ldifdiff /server/production.slapd.ldif repo/production.slapd.ldif > /tmp/diff.ldif
ldapmodify [...] -f /tmp/diff.ldif
slapcat -n0 -l /server/production.slapd.ldif

These both end up with the same state, and it's the same number of commands! You can checkout and revert to the latest head/trunk/etc. or any arbitrary rev with either config format. Monitoring in-core vs. on-disk vs. expected-in-production committed config is possible in both cases and actually easier/more comprehensive with cn=config. If "magical config overlord" is a cron job then "automatically be corrected" happens with both of these workflows. How are your hands tied in this case?