OpenLDAP static configuration

Hi list,

I've an Ubuntu 12.04 and I'd like to install an static configraution using slapd.conf. I've created a "slapd.conf" under "/etc/ldap" where is the default directory to install OpenLDAP. But when I start my service through "sudo service slapd start " it doesn't start the service using the static configuration.

I changed the script under "/etc/init.d/slapd" so that slapd.conf will be used through "SLAPD_CONF=/etc/ldap/slapd.conf" but then the LDAP server fails to start.

Any ideas how to deploy a static configuration in Ubuntu 12.04?

Regards
Ali