Re: indexing warning considered harmful

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:47 PM +0100 Michael StrÃder
> <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
>
>> HI!
>>
>> We all know the following messages in syslog (loglevel stats):
>>
>> mdb_equality_candidates: (foo) not indexed
>>
>> At first glance this seems helpful to find indexing issues.
>
> Correct, it may or may not be useful.

Then it's also completely meaningless for beginners. And postings on the
mailing list already showed that.

> For Zimbra
> builds, I change the logging level for this message from LDAP_DEBUG_ANY to
> LDAP_DEBUG_TRACE,

Do I have to patch the C source or can I use a -D compiler flag?

> as we take advantage of index short circuiting (meaning some
> of the attrs aren't indexed deliberately to increase performance by decreasing
> the number of evaulated result sets).

That's exactly why I'm not indexing a status attribute (let's call it
'organizationalStatus') because it's present in every entry with only very few
possible values.

=> the logging level for this message should be LDAP_DEBUG_TRACE in the
default source. Especially since the message is written to log dozens of times
during evaluating set-based ACLs.

Ciao, Michael.