syncrepl will update, and delete, but won't create entries

Before I give too many details that you don't need, is there something that would cause this behavior?

Both servers have:
Ubuntu 10.04
OpenLDAP 2.4.21

I'm using RefreshAndPersist.  I can make changes and delete entries, and the changes and deletions happen on the consumer, but if I create somebody on the provider, they never show up on the consumer.
Please let me know what additional information I can give you guys to help.  Thanks for the help!

--
Andrew LaPierre