Re: DBIS - new IETF drafts to replace NIS and RFC2307

On Jan 6, 2014, at 3:59 AM, Mark R Bannister <dbis@proseconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> In August this year, I submitted some new IETF drafts with the intent that they would replace NIS and RFC2307.  It introduces Directory Based Information Services (DBIS).
>
> Michael Ströder suggested I post a link to this mailing list.  The following article (and further articles on my blog) discuss some of the aspects of DBIS, and link to all of the relevant internet drafts:
>     http://technicalprose.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/introducing-dbis.html
>
> I am currently working on a reference implementation here:
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbis/
>
> This may be coming out of the blue for many of you, and I appreciate you may need some time to read and digest my drafts, and then ask me lots of questions.
>
> But my first question to you is, where is the best place for discussion related to these drafts?  Is this the mailing list to use?

This mailing list is usually narrowly focused on technical matters specifically related to the OpenLDAP server implementation.  It’s certainly a good idea to solicit the opinion of LDAP implementers when proposing a new LDAP application, but I wouldn’t rely on this list as a place to have general discussion about one application in particular.

I think the IETF’s NFSv4 working group (mailto:nfsv4@ietf.org) would be interested in this work, especially Andy Adamson, who is working on multi-domain authentication and authorization.  Have a look at:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-adamson-nfsv4-multi-domain-federated-fs-reqs/

There is also the working group’s efforts behind FedFS, which is meant as a partial replacement for autofs, and stores data in LDAP.  RFC 5617 is a starting place.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com