Re: Monitoring back-mdb's olcDbMaxSize

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:15:31 +0100 (CET) Christian Kratzer <ck-lists@cksoft.de>
wrote
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2013, Michael StrÃder wrote:
> > Using back-mdb there's one thing which could cause trouble:
> > One has to configure olcDbMaxSize which cannot be changed later.
> >
> > So when monitoring OpenLDAP with back-mdb it would be interesting to see
> > how much space of configured olcDbMaxSize is already occupied.
> >
> > Does it make sense to compare the real file size shown by du -h
> > /path/to/data.mdb to configured olcDbMaxSize?
>
> something like mdb_stat:
>
> [ldaptest1]# mdb_stat -e /var/lib/ldap
> Environment Info
>    Map address: (nil)
>    Map size: 1073741824
>    Page size: 4096
>    Max pages: 262144
>    Number of pages used: 2604
>    Last transaction ID: 125386
>    Max readers: 126
>    Number of readers used: 9
> Status of Main DB
>    Tree depth: 1
>    Branch pages: 0
>    Leaf pages: 1
>    Overflow pages: 0
>    Entries: 17
> [ldaptest1]#
>
> Although I am not 100% sure what would be the best values to monitor.
>
> Propably Number of pages used and max pages.

Hmm, I'd prefer to use pure Python and avoid calling external command-line
programs.

How about plain file status information like described here? After all I'm just
interested in a percentage of the used space.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3211999/sparse-file-usage-in-python

There's a hard-coded block-size of 512 bytes used therein which seems to match
output of command "du -h" on my system. Not sure about other systems though.

Ciao, Michael.