Re: Running slapcat and slapd at the same time

Chris Card wrote:
Hi all,

I am running openldap 2.4.36 with Berkeley DB 4.6.21 under centos 6.3 64 bit on a Dell 710 with 96 Gb RAM.
My slapd configuration sets the BDB cachesize to use a shared memory
segment
of 47 Gb (id2entry.bdb is about 40 Gb currently).

I use slapcat to take regular backups using the same configuration as
slapd,
running in parallel with slapd, and the backup works successfully, but uses a
lot of memory when it is running.

Nonsense. slapcat itself only uses as much memory as required to load one single entry at a time. It will attach to the BDB cache, but as you just stated up above, that's *shared* memory. It has no impact on system RAM if slapd was already using it anyway.

I would like to be able to run slapcat with a smaller memory requirement,
and to this end I have experimented with running slapcat with a different
configuration as follows:

<steps to efficiently corrupt a BDB environment deleted>

Is there a way to run slapcat with a different memory configuration to slapd?

No. Nor is there any reason to try.

--
  -- Howard Chu