Re: Recovering from a Single-Node downtime in a Multi-Master Setup

--On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:27 AM -0500 Christopher Wood <christopher_wood@pobox.com> wrote:

(inline)

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 02:04:40PM +0100, Marco Nett wrote:
   2013/12/10 Quanah Gibson-Mount <[1]quanah@zimbra.com>

     --On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:08 AM -0600
     [2]espeake@oreillyauto.com wrote:

       Do the slapcat on ldap2 and then delete the db files on ldap1 and
       then run
       the slapadd. ïyou will not get duplicates because all of the
       CSN's will be
       the same. ïThis is what I have done my migrations to the most
       recent versions and doing my own builds. ïWorks great that way.

Trying not to sound too obtuse, but still not grasping something about
this thread.

The last time I had a master of a multimaster pair stay down for a while
I just turned the long-halted master back on. Eventually syncrepl did its
thing. I ldapsearch'd corresponding databases on both hosts,
sorted/diffed the outputs and found no differences in the output (both
masters had the same data).

So what's the difference between waiting for syncrepl and going to all
the effort that people are describing?

Speed? If you have a large database, waiting on syncrepl is going to take forever.

Architect - Server
Zimbra, Inc.