Custom attribute values created prior to an index are not getting indexed by slapindex

I am running 2.4.36 with mdb and have discovered an interesting behavior that may be a bug but wanted some input before I opened an ITS.  I can upgrade to .38 and verify the behavior if needed.

I have a third party application that defines the following custom attribute:

olcAttributeTypes: ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.8241.1.15 NAME 'ctscPropertyKeywords' EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 )

I have recently added the following index to the database for this application:

olcDbIndex: ctscPropertyKeywords pres,eq

When I run a search using objectclass as a filter I see 17 records that contain the value "Exportable" for ctscPropertyKeywords.

When I repeat the search using (ctscPropertyKeywords=Exportable) as the filter I only get back 9 records even though the value is present in 17 records.

I have included examples of my searches and the results below.

I have run slapindex on this database several times since the new index was added using:

/appl/openldap/sbin/slapindex -v -F /appl/openldap/etc/openldap/slapd.d -b "dc=global,dc=aep,dc=com"

I have also restarted slapd several times just for grins.  The behavior has not changed.  I have discovered that the 9 records I see have been modified since the index was created and the missing 8 records existed before the index was created.  Modifying a record causes the index to get updated and adds the record to the results of my second search but re-indexing the database using slapindex does not.  Any thoughts?

Here are my sample searches and their output.

/appl/openldap/bin/ldapsearch -H "ldap://localhost:389"; -x -D {removed} -y {removed} -s sub -b 'dc=Global,dc=aep,dc=com' '(objectClass=ctscPropertyDefinition)' objectClass ctscPropertyKeywords

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=Global,dc=aep,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectClass=ctscPropertyDefinition)
# requesting: objectClass ctscPropertyKeywords
#

# 1102, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=1102,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Glo
bal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable

# 1103, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=1103,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Glo
bal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable

# 1104, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=1104,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Glo
bal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable

# 4305, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=4305,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Glo
bal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16802, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16802,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16803, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16803,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16804, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16804,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16805, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16805,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16806, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16806,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16808, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16808,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16810, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16810,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16813, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16813,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 16814, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=16814,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible

# 17702, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=17702,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable

# 17703, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=17703,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable

# 17803, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=17803,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable

# 18902, ctscApplicationDataRepository, ctsc, ApplicationData, Global.aep.com
dn: cn=18902,ou=ctscApplicationDataRepository,ou=ctsc,ou=ApplicationData,dc=Gl
obal,dc=aep,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dlm1ManagedElement
objectClass: ctscPropertyDefinition
objectClass: ctscManagedObjectAuxClass
ctscPropertyKeywords: Exportable
ctscPropertyKeywords: HelpDeskAccessible
ctscPropertyKeywords: MultiValued

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 18
# numEntries: 17

/appl/openldap/bin/ldapsearch -H "ldap://localhost:389"; -x -D {removed} -y {removed} -s sub -b 'dc=Global,dc=aep,dc=com' '(ctscPropertyKeywords=Exportable)' objectClass ctscPropertyKeywords

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=Global,dc=aep,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: (ctscPropertyKeywords=Exportable)

# numResponses: 10
# numEntries: 9

-Jon C. Kidder
American Electric Power