Re: 2.4.26 : too many open files

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, Aaron Bennett wrote:

Dec  2 16:55:40 animal slapd[13735]: bdb(dc=clarku,dc=edu): /var/lib/ldap/log.0000032796: log file unreadable: Too many open files

[...]

Is there anything I can do short of an automatic restart to prevent that from cropping up again? I have an MMR via Syncrepl setup with nothing too complicated; can?t think of any reason offhand that slapd would need to have more than 1024 files open.

If you're not expecting this load, perhaps you should verify it with lsof(8) / pfiles(1) / similar tools ... then you can modify the limit and/or rectify the behavior as appropriate. If the behavior involves "unnecessary" long-lived connections, please read slapd.conf(5) paying particular attention to the idletimeout and writetimeout directives. I don't see any reason why restarts should be necessary.