Re: Antw: Re: Q: monitoring attributes

>>> Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> schrieb am 27.11.2013 um 17:35 in Nachricht
<52961F54.2080603@symas.com>:
>>> In fact spaces in a commonName attribute value are in accordance with
>>> X.520 practice.
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I believe that, but when printed two spaces look very similar to one
space,
>> and as I guess every space is significant, you can probably have "Joe
> OneSpace"
>> and "Joe  TwoSpaces" as RDN.
>
> Read RFC4518, don't guess.

You mean?

"For instance, the caseIgnoreMatch matching rule may be used to
compare whether the commonName attribute contains a particular value
without regard for case and insignificant spaces."

"The caseIgnoreMatch matching rule [X.520], for example, is simply
defined as being a case-insensitive comparison where insignificant
spaces are ignored."

What's an "insignificant space, BTW."?

At some parts that text is quite confusing, like:
(2.6.1. Insignificant Space Handling)
"If the input string contains no non-space
character, then the output is exactly two SPACEs."

Still I wonder whether avoiding a SPACE in the DNs of the monitoring tree
would have been the easier approach...

Regards,
Ulrich