Antw: Re: OpenLDAP with ssl client certs

>>> Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> schrieb am 01.11.2013 um 19:12 in Nachricht
<5273EF18.3070700@symas.com>:
> Michael StrÃder wrote:
>> Howard Chu wrote:
>>>
>>> You can make the server require a client cert, but it won't use the
>>> certificate identity for anything unless you Bind with SASL/EXTERNAL.
>>>
>>> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/sasl.html#EXTERNAL
>>>
>>> And naturally, if you're using SASL, then the DN/password pair is
ignored.

>> BTW:
>>
>> In case of client certs the cert's subject-DN is the authc-DN which can be
>> directly used in authz-regexp which very much ties the mapping to
subject-DN
>> conventions of the PKI.
>>
>> But in some cases it would be very handy to map a distinct client cert to
>> authz-DN by issuer-DN/serial or even by fingerprint.  One use-case is cert
>> pinning of client certs and revocation checking done off-line.
>>
>> Should I file an ITS for that?
>
> I would reject such an ITS. Cert-pinning is an issue for clients that have a

> very large collection of trusted CAs. The Admin Guide clearly states that
> servers should only trust a single CA - the CA that signed its own certs and

Sorry, but if you insist on that, you didn't understand the concept: Any
certificate signed (transitively) by a root CA is valid. There are no
distinctions between more or less valid certificates; they are either valid or
invalid. Even if you talk about a single CA, what do you mean? A name of a CA,
or one specific certificate of a CA? Over time one CA may have more than one
certificate.

Please don't set up arbitrary restrictions or recommendations!

Regards,
Ulrich