From: Ulrich Windl [mailto:Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 1:02 AM
To: Steve Eckmann; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Antw: use openssl or moznss for more than TLS?

>>> Steve Eckmann <steve.eckmann@issinc.com> schrieb am 25.10.2013 um
>>> 04:08 in
Nachricht
<1cc760ef909d438ab78baff3ff7547b1@CO1PR04MB442.namprd04.prod.outlook.com>:
> We need a FIPS-validated SHA512 for password storage. The pw-sha2
> module provides SHA512 but isn't FIPS-validated. I see that I can use
> openssl or moznss in FIPS mode to get TLS, but I don't see how to get
> to either of those library's crypto functions from openldap. Is it possible?

Hi!

I don't know what you wnat to do, but user's passwords will be significantly weaker than SHA-1 I guess. The only thing is that some algorithms use more random bits for the salt, so the new security actually comes from mor salt, not from longer hashes. Still common passwords (from a dictionary) are problematic...

Like this (both passwords are identical):
mOH0vXSTP9b9c (DES, UNIX standard)
$6$rF2.bjfmxyctx3d2$7pJwHFCgsJPD/nwoA4kUm2aykwpWs3VUO5zZrQzEVWEqgGM0.qSvzkP3fsaJXrDCgjQvw454DkPYAh6Z/BD/p1 (SHA-512)

Regards,
Ulrich