Re: Antw: Re: RE24 testing call (OpenLDAP 2.4.37)

>>> Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> schrieb am 25.10.2013 um 01:11 in Nachricht
<5269A920.1010702@symas.com>:
>> Nachricht <921249C16E0FB2B352961386@[192.168.1.93]>:
>>> --On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:40 PM +0200 Patrick Lists

>>> If a test fails, the test suite will stop. ;)
>>
>> Most test suits work differently, and they write a summary line at the end
> (like "# test suceeded, # tests failed, # test skipped")
>
> The OpenLDAP test suite's default behavior hasn't changed in 15 years. It
> was
> written for developers; developers should fix problems as soon as they are
> detected.
>
> In recent releases, the behavior you describe was added. You enable it by
> setting the NOEXIT environment variable. Packagers tend to want this
> behavior.
> Note that the underlying assumption of the OpenLDAP Project is that we are
> developing source code and releasing it to be read by other developers. When
>
> we preface an announcement with "If you know how to build OpenLDAP manually"
>
> that should also mean, at the very least, "you are not afraid to read
> Makefiles and shell scripts" and thus there is no need to explain any of
> this.

I was thinking about variable configurations: If you build openLDAP without support for fancy database X, the tests for database X probably will nout fail, but will be skipped. Or if a SSL/TLS connection cannot be established( configuration error, not a software error), some related tests may be skipped.

Occasionally there a also silent performance expectations in the tests (like for CUPS: If you test a printer that is very slow, some tests may be falgged as FAILED).