Re: slapd-ldap and Multiple URIs: Dealing with hosts that are down

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> Using the meta backend, I have specified a list of LDAP URIs.
>
> I am testing what happens if the first URI becomes unresponsive ( e.g.
> The host was shutdown, etc. ).
>
> So I deliberately put in a bogus URI as the first URI that I know will
> not respond ( TCP SYN would be sent out by OpenLDAP, but no TCP ACK
> coming back ):
> timeout       10
> With the above timeout setting, I was hoping that after 10 seconds,
> OpenLDAP will try the next URI it the first URI did not respond ...
> but it did not as per tshark capture below.
>
> What setting do I need to accomplish what I need ?

man slapd-meta(5)
       network-timeout <time>
              Sets the network timeout value after which poll(2)/select(2)
              following a connect(2) returns in case of no activity.  The
              value is in seconds, and it can be specified as for
              idle-timeout. If set before any target specification, it affects
              all targets, unless overridden by any per-target directive.