Need to Create Default Printer Entries

Greetings;

Iâve recently built a new LDAP infrastructure, migrated from NIS.  Under NIS, I had a map,  âprintersâ, which I used to query with âypcat printers.byname|grep usernameâ.
I need to setup default printers for several applications, and making them centrally available, and configurable, is a must for me.

The issue I am facing is that my users, now listed under people, have no place to add a default printer; although there is an âallowed attributeâ for âhostâ, which right now for me goes unused.

What I would like to do is to create a new database in my DIT, call it say defaultPrinters, which contains left side username, right side printer; i.e.:

smitha  hp001
joner     hp002
carsont hp001

Additionally, I would like to be able to add an allowable attribute under People, named defaultPrinters, which points to the database that I am trying to create.

Thanks in advance.

-mi