Re: Berkeley DB backend - exact version check

Jan Synacek wrote:
Hello,

slapd checks the exact version of BDB at runtime and fails if it doesn't equal
to the version that it's been linked against. Is there a reason for such precise
check? Shouldn't the major and minor version numbers be enough?

The code seems to have been there for a while, so I'm sorry if such question has
been asked before. I couldn't find any answers.

No, our previous experience has been that just the major and minor version numbers are not enough. APIs changed quite a bit between the earliest versions of a release and later versions. (E.g., 4.1.1 vs 4.1.25, etc.) Check the DB_VERSION ifdefs in the code and you'll see.

--
  -- Howard Chu