mysterious glue record with empty dn

While I was trying to recover my directory from an aborted attempt to
implement the memberof overlay, I ended up dumping the database with slapcat
and then reloading it with slapadd after removing the now invalid MEMBEROF
attributes that lingered after the overlay was disabled.

Strangely, on some of my servers, a glue object with an empty DN showed up
in the slapcat output:

dn:
objectClass: glue
structuralObjectClass: glue
entryUUID: 411f0301-e857-4228-a22d-c5d1451d4496
creatorsName: cn=ldaproot,dc=csupomona,dc=edu
createTimestamp: 20131007210011Z
entryCSN: 20131007210011.273579Z#000000#000#000000
modifyTimestamp: 20131007210011Z
modifiersName: cn=idmgmt,ou=user,ou=service,dc=csupomona,dc=edu

slapadd refused to load the input file with this record at the top, I ended
up deleting it and then it seemed to load fine. I'm not sure where this
record came from? From what I could research, it seems glue records are
created when you delete part of the hierarchy that is in between the top and
some lower record? I don't think I did that, plus I don't see why it would
have an empty DN? This must have something to do with my attempt to
implement the memberof overlay, as I have never seen it before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.