unixUserPassword and userPassword

Hi,

I am migrating user account entries from an old openldap AD to
openldap BDB. Both LDAP client authentications are implemented in
Linux, the former in CentOS 5, and the latter in CentOS 6.

But the major problem is that the old openldap AD uses encrypted
password in "unixUserPassword:" while the openldap BDB uses base64
"userPassword::".

The option for solution I could think of are:

(a) Convert the encrypted password from unixUserPassword format to
userPasswor, then I can use ldapmodify to change userPassword. Is it
possible? If it is, appreciate more details.

(b) Change LDAP client authentication to use unixUserPassword. I
haven't found any document to configure Linux client authentication to
use unixUserPassword.

In fact, I could not find any document regarding details of uing
unixUserPassword. Any suggestions, tips and advice are very much
appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

jupiter

Sorry for asking a non-dev question, but I could not find any solution
from openldap document, nor from Internet searching.

Thank you and appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,

jupiter