Re: Access being denied.

Are you using the default admin account?

As far as the replication, I have not tried replicating.  I only have 2 ldap servers running currently (a primary and a slave), so I just manually apply the ACL's to both servers when there is a change.

I'm not sure why your config changes are not being pushed in.  Have you gone detailed with debugging mode, etc, to see if any errors are being logged?  It seems to me that this is the source of most of your problems.  I would try and track down the cause of that issue first.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM, <espeake@oreillyauto.com> wrote:

From:   Jason Brandt <jbrandt@fsmail.bradley.edu>
To:     espeake@oreillyauto.com
Cc:     "openldap-technical@OpenLDAP.org"
            <openldap-technical@openldap.org>
Date:   09/23/2013 03:26 PM
Subject:        Re: Access being denied.

I hope this doesn't confuse you too much... First off... Your admin account
will be dn="cn=admin,dc=oreillyauto,dc=com", if you are talking about the
default admin account.  You also want manage instead of write.  I would
also recommend securing your admin account with access lists, only allowing
access from specific manager IP addresses.  In order to restrict the
cn=admin account as I do below, you have to set the userPassword attribute
for the admin account, and blank the olcRootPW.

set admin password:
dn: cn=admin,dc=bradley,dc=edu
changeType: modify
add: userPassword
userPassword: {SSHA}<passwordhash>

blank old olcRootPW

dn: olcDatabase={1}hdb,cn=config
changetype: modify
delete: olcRootPW

This allows use of the normal authentication process and will look at your
access lists.  Otherwise, it will always bypass access lists and use the
olcRootPW to authenticate.

Here's how I handle access restrictions, which I would suggest you
evaluate.  This is a positive security model as well (meaning the default
action is deny), which I highly recommend (ie no one can access any field,
unless it's specifically defined).  The downside to the positive security
model is that it's less flexible, you have to whitelist any new attributes
you wish users to access, but it provides you with the best security.
Another note in this, is that my user accounts are all shadowAccounts, and
setting shadowInactive to 1 disables the account. (handled by the 3rd
section with password fields).

Here is my access list in a template form:

dn: olcDatabase={1}hdb,cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: olcAccess
# limit access to directory manager to local host only and specific manager
ip's
olcAccess: to dn.base="cn=admin,dc=,dc="
  by peername.ip=127.0.0.1 auth
  by sockurl=ldapi:/// auth
  by peername.ip=<manager IP> auth
  by users none
  by anonymous none
#Allow admin users full access to all attrs
#Allow OpenLDAP2 Sync User read access to all
#Everyone else, continue
olcAccess: to *
  by peername.ip=172.16.0.0%255.255.0.0 dn="uid=adminuser,dc=,dc=" manage
  by peername.ip=<secondary ldap server ip>
dn="uid=syncuser,ou=Service_Logins,dc=,dc=" read
  by peername.ip=<third ldap server ip>
dn="uid=syncuser,ou=Service_Logins,dc=,dc=" read
  by * break
#Handle password fields, for all possible entities.  No further processing
for these attributes
olcAccess: to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange filter=
(&(objectClass=shadowAccount)(!(shadowInactive=1)))
  by self =w
  by sockurl=ldapi:/// auth
  by peername.ip=172.16.0.0%255.255.0.0 auth
  by peername.ip=127.0.0.1 group.exact="cn=localadmingroup,dc=,dc=" manage
  by group.exact="cn=admingroup,dc=,dc=" write
  by * none
#Specific processing for an Account
#Everyone else, continue
olcAccess: to attrs=attr1,attr2
  by dn="uid=account1,ou=Service_Logins,dc=,dc=" read
  by * break
#Specific processing for a Group
#Everyone else, continue
olcAccess: to attrs=attr3,attr4
  by group.exact="cn=group1,out=Group,dc=,dc=" manage
  by * break
#Handle SELF writable fields
#Everyone else, continue
olcAccess: to attrs=loginShell,mailRoutingAddress,additionalattrs
  by self write
  by * break
#Handle more restrictive fields
#Stop processing on match
olcAccess: to attrs=audio,attr5,attr6,attr7
  filter=(&(matchTrue=1)(objectClass=Person))
  by * none
#Handle Anonymous Allowed fields
#Stop Processing on Match
olcAccess: to attrs=attr8,attr9,attr10
  by * read
#Handle User Allowed Fields
#Stop Processing on Match
olcAccess: to dn.subtree="dc=,dc=" attrs=audio
  by users read
#Hide additional superuser accounts in directory
olcAccess: to attrs=entry filter=(|(ou=Service_Logins)(uid=logins))
  by * none
#Allow access to specific objectclasses
olcAccess: to filter=(|
(objectClass=nisDomainObject)(objectClass=nisNetGroup)(objectClass=posixGroup)(objectClass=groupOfUniqueNames)(objectClass=organizationalUnit))
  by * read
#Allow access to directory entries.  Required to query directory when using
default deny policy
olcAccess: to dn.subtree="dc=,dc="
  attrs=entry,objectClass
  by * read