From: openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:53 PM
To: Paul B. Henson; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: auditing failed login attempts

--On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:25 PM -0700 "Paul B. Henson"
<henson@acm.org> wrote:

> Our security group is hassling us because we don't currently provide
> them an audit log of failed login attempts on our LDAP servers. For
> most of our other systems, we simply provide them a syslog feed with this information.
> However, openldap doesn't appear to have a logging level that provides
> detail about login attempts on a single line, but rather across many
> lines that would need to be correlated. It seems more like connection
> debugging logging as opposed to authentication logging.
>
> It looks like we might need to set up an accesslog overlay to log all
> of the attempted binds and then have a separate process that runs
> through that and generates the syslog feed to our ISO group's central
> logging server? That's a bit more overhead than I would like.
>
> Are there any other simpler ways of generating failed login logs?

slapo-auditlog?
slapo-accesslog?

Don't know if you use it, but your security team may like you to use
ppolicy:
<http://www.openldap.org/software/man.cgi?query=slapo-ppolicy&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenLDAP+2.4-Release&format=html>

Lead Engineer
Zimbra Software, LLC

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.