Re: Multi-master setup in debian

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com> wrote:
--On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:06 PM -0300 Listas de Correo <toshiro.listas@gmail.com> wrote:

Would you mind to provide me more details about the bugs and potential
problems of using Debian packages? I'm not putting your statements in
doubt, I just need to have solid and documented arguments to convince my
boss that this extra work is really needed.

Read the release notes for OpenLDAP:

<http://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html>

The FAQ from the Debian OpenLDAP package maintainers:

<http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1456.html>

The use of GnuTLS (What Debian links to instead of OpenSSL) is harmful:

<http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200802/msg00072.html>

Ok, thanks for the info, I will look into it right away.

I have an additional question about compiling from source: how do you handle upgrades? In Debian, I've just use apt-get upgrade, in the case of compiliing yourself, you just compile and then 'make install'? Is that enough or do you need to do any previous housekeeping? (I'm asking because I haven't found any mention of upgrade in the Administrator's Guide)