Re: Multi-master setup in debian

(inline)

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:27:53AM -0300, Listas de Correo wrote:
>      Today it's so easy to set up two virtual machines with your favourite OS
>      and
>      work through the replication chapter in the admin guide.
>
>      [1]http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html
>
>      You mentioned Debian. I'd recommend not to use the Debian packages and
>      compile
>      OpenLDAP 2.4.36+ yourself instead.
>
>      Ciao, Michael.
>
>    Well, that does not look so easy to me (that's why I'm asking for help :)
>    ), specially considering that I already have a working LDAP working with
>    several hundreds users relying on them to do their work, so it's not
>    possible to me to start from scratch, I have to use what I already have
>    (and not break anything in the process).
>
>    For the reason above, I can't compile OpenLDAP myself (I have to use what
>    is already there).

Yes and no, you can dump your directory from the old version and load it into the new version (slapcat/slapadd). I've found this a straightforward process.

If I wanted to upgrade a production system, I might:

-install a new multimaster setup with consumer replicas
-stop writing data to the current production masters
-(reading is fine)
-dump the current production databases to ldifs
-load the databases into one of the new multimasters
-(or all of the new servers if you have a lot of data)
-wait for replication to sync up your new servers
-swap the load balancer from using the old server pool for ldap to using the new server pool
-(or change ip addresses on the servers if you're not using a load balancer)
-enable data writes to the new masters