Re: Log service time?

Chris Jacobs wrote:
> Michael: I cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not, so, I'm running
> with your words:

I'm completely serious.

> Software isn't developed in a vacuum - when truly useful, it's intended use
> it to be used and it cannot be used sans distros (in any realistic
> production operation; sure you can compile everything from source and
> create StroderOS).

Are you sarcastic here?

Serious: Using packages from a Linux distribution is the normal case and works
fine mostly for cases where you don't use very advanced features of a given
software.
If you experience certain bugs in a software packaged by your distro then
build a newer distro package of that software. Yes, that's work but it's worth
the effort if the component is really important for your infrastructure. This
is about getting real control over important components.

> While you may be blessed with using whatever software,
> from whatever source you desire, with any (or no) support available, many
> system administrators are under edicts and must work within the policies
> and instructions of their company.

Policies and instructions are always subject to controlled change process. If
you don't have a change process then your policies are missing a very
essential part.

> SOX is a big deal at any organization that is publicly traded or works with
> government entities.

Be assured that I'm quite aware of what it means to run systems governed by
lots of policies.

> The support model of essentially "it's not the latest; go away until you update (compile it)" isn't helpful.

Do you have a support contract with the OpenLDAP community?
Everything here is community effort. If you insist on getting commercial-grade
support model then pay people providing support (e.g. buy Symas' build for
your favourite OS platform).

> Quanah: "I would highly advise upgrading to a current release (2.4.36) and
> switching to back-mdb."

While I personally agree that Quanah should not just write "yuck" because of
someone is using back-hdb (given that back-mdb is really usable just since
2.4.36) he's right in pointing out that someone should try to reproduce issues
with the latest release first before asking.

Ciao, Michael.