Re: Antw: Re: Log service time?

ÐÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÑÑÐÐ wrote:
Ð ÐÑÐ, 06/09/2013 Ð 04:42 -0700, Howard Chu ÐÐÑÐÑ:
Ulrich Windl wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com> schrieb am 05.09.2013 um 22:58 in
Nachricht <0FCBC02976FFDC0CF5D9A489@[192.168.1.22]>:
--On Thursday, September 05, 2013 10:58 PM +0300 ÐÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐÐÐ
ÐÐÑÑÐÐ <casper@meteor.dp.ua> wrote:
[...]
OS: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
Slapd: 2.4.28-1.1ubuntu4.3

Ugh, ancient.

Backend: HDB

Yuck.

[...]

Hi guys!

While I have nothing against bug-free software, I cannot read that "update to
the latest version and database" any more: Is it really because the releases of
the previous years that many people used were so terrible (which, by induction,
means that the latest versions recommended by that time were terrible, so, as
seen from tomorrow's perspective, the versions advertised today are also
terribly full of bugs. In effect this means that there will never be a version
that is not full of terrible bugs), or is it that no-one wants to care or take
a look at about previous releases? Or are you just recruiting beta-testers for
the current release?

It is Project policy to only investigate issues in the current release. There
is no sense in tracing back thru old code whose bugs have already been fixed.

This means old versions are not supported and makes problems with
openldap distribution packages as distributions don't update upstream
versions inside distribution version. :(

For Debian that means staying with bugs for >2 years. It's hard to call
this policy "right".

Distro packages are supported by their distros. We have no way to support them anyway since they tend to insert their own private patches and we have no visibility into what they changed. (Nor do we want it - there's doeznes of distros out there and it's not our responsibility to keep track of what they're all doing.) And in the specific case of Debian, given their history of introducing critical bugs into their builds http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/random_number_b.html there is no way any upstream project will ever take responsibility for supporting Debian packages.

You may not think this policy is "right" but it's the only practical approach when distros take liberties with what they release.

--
  -- Howard Chu