Re: Antw: Re: How to check whether OpenLDAP server is provider or consumer ?

Nachricht <564FB11DDFEE88059AA204C7@[192.168.1.22]>:

> --On Monday, August 26, 2013 4:16 PM +0200 Ulrich Windl
> <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a related question: How is the updateref expected to be for a
>> multi-master server with replicated config database? None, one, or one
>> for each server?
>
> Why would a master have an updateref statement?  Then it wouldn't be a
> master.

I haven't fully investigated, but in SLES11 SP2 YaST seems to refuse updates (users and groups) on multi-master if either "mirrormode: true" is missing, or "updateref". It's a bug in YaST, yes, but I have to live with it. I could do updates with LDIF, but other people want to use YaST...

BTW, the manpage says:
---
       updateref <url>
              Specify the referral to pass back  when  slapd(8)  is  asked  to
              modify  a  replicated  local  database.   If  specified multiple
              times, each url is provided.
---

So one could guess you'll have to specify all your masters using updateref...

Maybe the clarification would be to state that "replicated" means "slave copy". Also on "local": Can slapd modify and database that is not local?

Regards,
Ulrich