is there an overlay for 'inheriting' attribute-values from DN?

I think there is an overlay that enables inheriting attribute-values, I am sure I read it somewhere, a few years ago, but I cannot find it, not with
Googling.

The intended behaviour is the following:

For this record:

dn: cn=David,ou=Sales Department,o=Example Co.
objectClass: organizationalPerson
cn: David
sn: Jones

Normally, if you do (ou=Sales Department), you don't find David's record. But with a certain overlay enabled, you can. It is as if the attribute in the DN is inexplicitly there assigned to the record.

Forgive me if I was wrong.

Best.