Re: How to make OpenLDAP use random (v4) UUIDs in entryUUID attribute

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Michael StrÃder <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:

> A client application can set 'entryUUID' by sending the relax rules control
> along with the add/modify request.

This is good to know. I wasn't aware such a control existed.

> I used this in a migration project deriving OpenLDAP's entryUUID from Novell
> eDirectory's GUID.

Aside: those and AD's objectGUID have the same semantics, yes? (I'd be
floored if they didn't.)

> Of course the client app is then responsible for generating proper UUIDs. With
> random UUIDs you might run out of entropy depending on how many you have to
> generated within a certain time.

Not too concerned about volume. I ended up writing an overlay anyway
which seems to work fine. I'll be sending a patch once I tidy up the
makefiles etc.

Thanks for the insight,

--
Dorian Taylor