Re: standalone and master slave ldap behave differently

Desiree Klecker wrote:
> to update entry persistend in a master slave openldap environment the
> following steps are performed using Java :
> 1. The entry is removed.
> 2. The entry is created again.
>
> This does not result in faulty behavior using a single/simple OpenLdap
> directory.
> Using a master slave configuration this results in unpredictable
> errors claiming that the item still exists (the remove statement has ran
> immediately before) if it is recreated.
>
> I cannot see why the master slave environment should not behave in a
> tranparent way. It seems the remove statement was not
> executed in complete allthough the call is synchronous.
>
> Which additional information are required to analyse the problem?
>
> Do similar problems exist/ is this a known problem?

Nobody can answer any meaningful without knowing the OpenLDAP version(s) used
and the actual setup.

Note that some implementors tend to ignore read-after-write issues with
replication setups where write requests go to the provider and read requests
are answered by the consumer.

Ciao, Michael.