Re: odd multi-master inconsistency

--On Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:50 AM -0400 Brian Gold <bgold@simons-rock.edu> wrote:

Hi all. Kind of an odd issue that I was hoping to get your advice withâ

I'm currently running a pair of rhel6 servers (hostnames: ldap1 & ldap2)
w/ openldap-2.4.23 in multi-master. I also have a pair of rhel6 servers
running keepalived & haproxy to act as loadbalancers (floating ip
resolves to hostname: ldap) to direct ldap queries from some of our less
documented/older services from the days before we had 2 ldap servers or
from services that can't natively handle failover ldap providers.

I would note that the current release of OpenLDAP is 2.4.35. I would note that OpenLDAP 2.4.23 is nearly 3 years old. I would note that numerous significant fixes to MMR and syncrepl have been made to OpenLDAP since 2.4.23. I would note that the version of OpenLDAP 2.4.23 shipped by Redhat is known to have various issues. I would give my usual advice of using a current OpenLDAP release. If you are unable to build it yourself, you may wish to use the packages from the LTB project:

<http://ltb-project.org/wiki/download#openldap>

Or to put it more succinctly: You are expected to have issues with the 2.4.23 version, even if it may take some time to encounter them. If you truly want help resolving issues with the 2.4.23 build as provided by Redhat, then the proper support channel for their packages is to contact Redhat and to ask them to fix the version they have released to their customers. Otherwise, use a current build of OpenLDAP on your servers.

Hope that helps!

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.