Re: Local group and ldap user combination

On 03/14/13 12:52 +0000, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
Hi
Admittedly this is slightly OT but I were hoping someone could point me in
the right direction.

I want to be able to grant LDAP users group membership to local groups on a
Ubuntu box. For example the adm group.

How would I go about doing this?

As a very quick test I created a adm group in ldap but it is not having the
desired effect. Output from getent group | grep arm

adm:x:4:
adm:*:4:uid=ggeldenhuis,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com

The first adm group is the local file group and the second my ldap group.

Am I going about this in the wrong way... ?

You apparently have this in your ldap tree:

memberUid: uid=ggeldenhuis,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com

for your adm group. Instead, that should be:

memberUid: ggeldenhuis

Regardless, your group names and guids *should* be unique to the system.
You could remove the entry that's located in /etc/group or, instead of
creating an ldap adm group, you could specify a gidNumber of 4 for
uid=ggeldenhuis, which will place the user in the group - 'groups
ggeldenhuis' should then report the user as a member of adm.

--
Dan White