Re: RE24 testing call (OpenLDAP 2.4.34)

Hi Quanah,

On 02/22/2013 11:56 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
[snip]

Hi Patrick,

it is generally a bad idea to use Linux distro provided OpenLDAP
packages for a variety of reasons.

Heh I figured that out the hard way after I could not get my cn=config setup going with the distro provided openldap 2.4.23 RPM.

The best idea is to build OpenLDAP
into your own location for server & client packages, so you are isolated
from the general junk shipped by the distro.

Yup that's what I have done now. The RE24 package is installed into /usr/local and everything has "24" added to its name so it's clearly distinctive and does not interfere with the distro provided openldap packages.

A good example of doing this the right way is the ltb project:

<http://ltb-project.org/wiki/download#openldap>

Thanks for the tip.

You can of course use their spec files for your local build. ;)

I had a look and there are quite extensive spec files for multiple packages. To prevent that I bite of more than I can chew I chose to create a simpler package and start with that. My simple setup seems to work fine now due to some much appreciated help from list members.

If I can be of further assistance with testing I'll be happy to help where my limited LDAP knowledge allows.

Regards,
Patrick