Listing linux users

Hi all.
My scenario is:
openldap/samba pdc server for authenticating Windows and Linux.
I need to know when a user, from Linux clients, logs in and out from the system.
If some problem occurs, i need to know who was logged, in particular computer, in that time.
With windows computers, the "last" bash command (in server) gave me the information needed, but with linux clients i don't know what i have to do.
They are not listed with "last" command.
I don't want to redirect all auth logs from clients to my server. It probably will overload my server.
There are some way to do this?