Mirror mode difference from N-Way Multi-Master

Hi,

I've red replication documentation many times, and also many related
mailing list threads. Some aspects are still not clear. So:

1. Can Mirror Mode be setup across more than 2 servers, say 3 mirrors?

I found one thread saying that mirror can only be setup for 2 master
servers:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200801/msg00046.html

2. How Mirror Mode of 2 servers differs in configuration comparing to
N-Way Multi-Master of 2 servers?

I don't see difference in setting up Mirror vs N-Way, both should have
syncprov and syncrepl, both should have ServerID and MirrorMode TRUE,
what am I missing?

As far as I can see there is no difference in configuration. The only
distinction I can see is the "use case", as N-Way supposed to accept
writes on all Masters, but Mirror only on one at a time.

This is not clearly stated anywhere, so do they really differ only in
proxy/balancer in front of Mirrors?

If so, why can't I do 3 Mirrors with proxy/balancer in front?

3. It is clearly stated in the docs that in Mirror Mode one can't use
Delta-syncrepl. Can it be used in N-Way Multi-Master?

There are posts saying Delta-syncrepl is not supported in Multi-Master:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200708/msg00139.html
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201104/msg00241.html

4. In Mirror mode, can I use UpdateRef on one mirror to direct writes to
another so proxy/balancer will become not required?