meta backend and bad configuration file

Hi,

I am running slapd 2.4.33 on RHEL, compiled from the sources.
I successfully configured meta backend using old style slapd.conf.
My aim is to browse two Active Directories in two separate forests (success) and to collect in a new group all users members of two local groups, one for each domain (not  done yet).
For the latter I read that the dynlist overlay is what I need and I created a hdb database.
The configuration examples I found for dynlist are in the cn=config style, so I felt pushed to convert my configuration (slapd -f slapd.conf -F slapd.d).
I did it, but the results are not as expected, because slapd starts, but slaptest for the new config issues an error.

# slaptest -f slapd.conf
51137c4c hdb_monitor_db_open: monitoring disabled; configure monitor database to enable
config file testing succeeded

# slaptest
slaptest: bad configuration file!

I assume, please tell me if I am wrong, that if you have the new cn=config files, then slapd.conf is not used.
But I remove or rename it slapd does not start and the error message is  the same as for slaptest.

 slapd stopped.

So I am wondering if the new config files are even read when slapd starts correctly (i.e. when called with both "-f" and "-F" flags). I know that one of the new features of version 2.4.33 is just the cn=config support for meta.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Francesco