rwm/relay and ldapwhoami

OK - must be missing something really basic - and I am new to LDAP...

I have a server (ldapmaster) that serves

dc=new,dc=example,dc=com

and a seperate server, ldaplegacy, that uses slapd-ldap + rwm to proxy-translate requests aimed at:

dc=old,dc=example,dc=com

So:

ldapsearch -x -b dc=old,dc=example,dc=com -H ldap://ldaplegacy/

returns
# me, people, old.example.com
dn: uid=me,ou=people,dc=old,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: inetOrgPerson

nice - exactly as expected.

But

ldapwhoami -x -W -D uid=me,ou=people,dc=old,dc=example,dc=com -H ldap://ldaplegacy/

returns (after successful bind)

dn:uid=me,ou=people,dc=new,dc=example,dc=com

Why doesn't the DN get translated?

The config section that's relevant on ldaplegacy is:

slapd.conf
###############################
database                relay
suffix                  "dc=old,dc=example,dc=com"
relay                   "dc=new,dc=example,dc=com"
overlay                 rwm
rwm-suffixmassage       "dc=new,dc=example,dc=com"

I thought I needed more magic to translate the replies, but that *looks* like it is happening with ldapsearch???

Cheers!

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."