Re: last login time

--On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:55 PM -0500 Jignesh Patel <jignesh@icare.com> wrote:

So if I update to 2.4.33? Do I still need to get LTB package or new
version has a last bind overlay?

And just for curiosity, what significant benefit we will get by this
upgrade?

a) You are confusing "new version options" with "compile choices". RedHat, by choice, does not compile or ship the lastbind module in the "contrib" section of the OpenLDAP source. The LTB project does compile and include that contrib code.

b) I think it is important you understand software versioning. For example, 2.4.33 means Major version 2, Minor version 4, patch level 33. I.e., 2.4.23 vs 2.4.33 is just a later release of the 2.4 series of OpenLDAP software, with significant bug fixes. A full list of fixes made to OpenLDAP between versions can always be found at <http://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html>.

c) I would note that RedHat's 2.4.23 build is nearly 2.5 years old. It is lacking many critical and significant fixes, as you can see from the above change log.

d) I would note that RedHat's 2.4 build is linked to NSS, which is fairly problematic. See <http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/201204/msg00019.html> and <http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/?findid=7367>. I do not know if the LTB project makes this same mistake or not.

e) If you feel you require having actual support, I would advise you have a support contract with Symas (http://www.symas.com), and use their builds of OpenLDAP.

f) In relation to your question about back-bdb and back-hdb. With OpenLDAP 2.4.33 (and later) you may wish to consider back-mdb, a new database backend written by Howard Chu, chief architect of the OpenLDAP project and CTO of Symas. More information on back-mdb can be found at <http://www.symas.com/mdb/>

Hope that helps!

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.