Re: slapd: way of configuration

--On Monday, September 24, 2012 6:11 PM +0200 Tobias Hachmer <lists@kokelnet.de> wrote:

Hello list,

I want to know what the recommended way is to configure slapd. I'm using
openldap package 2.4.28 under ubuntu precise.
As default there is no /etc/ldap/slapd.conf and the whole configuration
is located under /etc/ldap/slapd.d/ in ldif format.

1. Must I use ldapmodify to change slapd configuration in cn=config
backend or can I just change configuration directives directly in the
appropriate ldif file under /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/* ? If the
latter, have I to restart slapd after configuration changes?

You must use ldapmodify. Alternatively, you can slapcat the cn=config DB, modify the resulting LDIF, and re-import it. See the -n 0 option to slapcat/slapadd.

Never modify the files under cn=config directly.

2. Will the old school way to configure slapd via slapd.conf be
deprecated and not available at all in future?

Correct.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.