Re: Logging events to a log file

> De : Dieter Klünter <dieter@dkluenter.de>

> Am Sat, 22 Sep 2012 19:27:19 +0100 (BST)
> schrieb Mik J <mikydevel@yahoo.fr>:
>
>>  Hello List,
>>

>>  When I start slapd with the option -d 256 I can see what's happening
>>  when there's a connection # /usr/local/libexec/slapd -4 -d 256 -u
>>  _openldap -g _openldap -h ldaps:///
>>
>>  However I would like to have this in a log file and I added these
>>  lines to slapd.conf loglevel        256
>>  logfile         /var/log/slapd.log
>>  But my log file remains empty after I start the server with (without
>>  -d 256)
>>
>>  # /usr/local/libexec/slapd -4 -u _openldap -g _openldap -h ldaps:///
>>
>>  However if I start the server with
>>  # /usr/local/libexec/slapd -4 -d 256 -u _openldap -g _openldap -h
>>  ldaps:/// The events display on the screen and in the slapd.log file
>>  as well. This behavior surprises me, am I missing something ?
>>
>>  My ldap server version is 2.4.26p0
>
> man slapd(8), read on -d flag, -s flag and -l flag. Furthermore check
> your syslog configuration, slapd logs to local4 as default.
>
> -Dieter

Hello,
Thank you for your answer, I already read the man because asking my question but I will read it again.
My question was about logging the events in a file without using syslog. Maybe I misunderstood the documentation and slapd uses syslog only.
In that case, what's the utility of this directive "logfile         /var/log/slapd.log" in slapd.conf ?