Re: The Last Sysadmin Prayer: Discussion Returns to Wrap and Base64 World

Hi Angel,

you might want to post feature requests (after double checking that the
feature does not already exists) to the ITS
(http://www.openldap.org/its/). This list is, as Howard made quite
clear, not the right place.

Technical discussions can be made on openldap-technical.

Although it is far better to use proper LDAP libraries of a proper
scripting language, I second your request for a don't base64 feature for
all those admins who only use bash and pray instead of learning python
or perl ;-)

But we should first discuss (on openldap-technical) how exactly such a
feature should work (there are binary values that you don't want to have
not base64ed).

And: it is even nicer to post a proper patch than a feature request to ITS

Cheers,

Peter

Am 23.07.2012 00:36, schrieb Angel Bosch:
>> De: "Howard Chu" <hyc@symas.com>
>> This is the Developer's list. Your post is off topic and you should be
>> ashamed
>> of yourself for posting it here.
>>
> sorry for the noise, I knew this is the developer's list but after seeing all lists:
>
> openldap-announce 	OpenLDAP announcements list
> openldap-bugs 	OpenLDAP bugs discussion list
> openldap-commit 	OpenLDAP source repository 'commit' list
> openldap-devel 	OpenLDAP development discussion list
> openldap-fortress 	OpenLDAP Fortress Discussion list
> openldap-technical     	OpenLDAP Technical Discussion list
>

> I thought this belongs here because the nature of the discussion. If you want me to move this thread to another list, please let me know.
>

>> An option for LDIF wrapping was released in 2.4.24, 2011-02-10. You
>> should be
>> ashamed of yourself for asking for something that has already been
>> available
>> for over a year and a half.
>>
> I was using lastest Centos 6.3 packages and I assumed that there was no wrapping option, sorry about that. I see now that Centos is packaging 2.4.23. That was close. I'm really happy to see that it was finally included upstream and I can't wait to see it on packages.
>

> I think rest of the complain is still valid, though. Decoding values i still an issue, and the suggestion of Michael that best way is learning other languages instead of using ldapsearch reaffirms my pov. How broken can be a simple search such as
>
>    FULLNAME=`ldapsearch -x -LLL "(uid=$1)" gecos | grep "^gecos: " | cut -d" " -f2- `
>
> ?
>

> I really thought that we could start a healthy discussion about what and when a widely requested feature should be included. And judging from amount of posts/discussions I've found digging last weeks I'm pretty sure that isn't the opinion of a single undocumented obtuse sysadmin.
>
> Instead of being double-ashamed because of my ignorance, I'm really proud of being part of the free software community and being able to address to people I admire and respect profundly. Even when I'm wrong and even more when I hardly find the right words to explain my boss that this "creppy guy with a violin" is the main developer of this huge project.
>

> Ãngel
>

> ps: english is not my native language, excuse my strange composition

Peter Gietz (CEO)
DAASI International GmbH                   phone: +49 7071 407109-0
Europaplatz 3                              Fax:   +49 7071 407109-9
D-72072 TÃbingen                           mail:  peter.gietz@daasi.de
Germany                                    Web:   www.daasi.de

DAASI International GmbH, TÃbingen
GeschÃftsfÃhrer Peter Gietz, Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 382175

Directory Applications for Advanced Security and Information Management