Re: olcSubordinate versus Chaining

--On Friday, July 13, 2012 11:57 PM +0530 Warren Howard <warren@madtechsupport.com> wrote:

On 13/07/12 2:15 AM, Warren Howard wrote:
Dear all,

I'm setting up a replicated directory service, so far I have a single
provider and a single consumer with Syncrepl in refreshOnly mode.  The
consumer is a complete shadow copy of the provider, ldap clients can
read from the consumer but not write to the consumer because it is a
shadow copy.  Next I would like "refer" ldap clients that wish to
write to the consumer to the provider. Based on the notes here :
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/referrals.html, I would like to
how to do this by using the olcSubordinate keyword. I've read the
olcSubordinate section in slapd-config man page and I don't see a way
forward and I'm not even sure that using olcSubordinate is the correct
approach, since the steps described in
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/overlays.html#Chaining appear more
relevant to set up I'm attempting.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Hi,

I'm just looking for a nod in the right direction.  I'll re-phrase my
question, how would you set up up a single provider (single master) with
one or more consumers (one or more slaves) so that clients which try to
write to a slave are able to do so because the slave handles the referral
to the master and the client knows not that the slave directory it is
connecting to is read-only?

man slapo-chain(5)

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc